Rev. Richard Bowers serves as our pastor. Pastor Bowers and his wife Phyllis have deep roots in both the United Methodist Church and the Emigsville region.
Both Pastor Dick and his wife Phyllis are passionate about connecting people with God and with each other. They work to instill the richness of the scripture, building a foundation of the faith for each person to live out their spiritual journey.
Let's be honest, visiting a new church can be scary. We understand this. Please allow us to help eliminate some of your concerns.
1. Parking: When you visit Otterbein, there is a small parking lot behind the church. Of course, because Emigsville is such a small town, street parking is also available.
2. Entrance: The entrance to the church is in the front. When you enter, there is a small vestibule before you enter the church.
3. Dress Code: There really isn't a dress code, we are just happy that you have found us and would like to visit. A good rule of thumb would be to just dress modestly.
4. Service Style: Our service is more traditional Methodist. We find that it allows us to connect with our heritage as well as disconnect with many of the distractions that we have on a daily basis.
5. Teaching: We believe the Bible is the Inspired Word of God and is relevant for today. Our services focus on providing practical wisdom from the Bible that people can use in everyday life. We are affiliated with the United Methodist Church and connected with the Susquehanna Conference.
6. Uncertainty: Many people who visit with us are not sure as to what they believe. They know they need something in their lives, but not exactly sure what. Welcome. You are in good company. Otterbein is a place of discovery and growth. We don't claim to have all of the answers to all of life's questions. However, we can introduce you to the one who does. Give us the pleasure of introducing you to Jesus who loves, cares and desires to have a personal relationship with you.
7. People: When you visit Otterbein, you should expect to be greeted by someone who is thrilled to meet you. That person can help you with everything from finding the nursery to answering any questions you may have. They are honestly happy to meet you and want to make your experience a great one.
8. Offering: Each service, we pass an offering plate to gather the tithes and offerings of those who call Otterbein home. We believe it is Biblical for people to give back to God a portion of what He has given to us. However, as our guest, we are not requesting you put anything in the offering plate other than a way to possibly reach out to you. You may if you would like, however, you are our honored guest and nothing is required from you.
9. After: We would love the opportunity to reach out to you and help answer any questions. We love connecting people and would love for you to continue your spiritual journey with us. Some people who visit already have a personal relationship with God and are just looking for a new place to call home. Others have not begun or don't even understand what it means to have a personal relationship with God. If this is you, we would love the opportunity to talk about what God has done in our lives and how much He loves and desires to have a personal relationship with you.